Why is health insurance for my pet important?
We believe it is important for all pets to have a good pet health insurance plan. First of all, most of the diseases we see in veterinary medicine are related to breed/heredity. Example of breed-related diseases include:
- Certain heart diseases like dilated cardiomyopathy, mitral valve disease, and hypertrophic cardiomyopathy in cats
- Ophthalmic diseases like cataracts and glaucoma
- Musculoskelteal diseases like patellar luxations and hip dysplasia
Second, unexpected illness or injuries and life-threatening emergencies can happen. It is tragic when the cost of treatment prohibits a pet from receiving a life-saving procedure.
What plans do you recommend?
We recommend the Trupanion pet health insurance plan for our dog and cat patients for the following reasons:
- It does not exclude breed-related (hereditary) conditions (as long as the plan is in place before a diagnosis is made, i.e. not pre-existing)
- It provides comprehensive coverage for illnesses and injuries
- There are no lifetime claim limits
- There are no per incident claim limits on accidents and illnesses
- Covers 90% of the actual veterinary bill (after exam fee)
- Optional deductible (from $0 to $1000)
- Acupuncture and behavioral therapy are covered