We have gathered important resources for your convenience. If you’d like to learn more, please read below.
Adoptable Dogs and Cats
Furkids is Georgia’s largest no-kill shelter located on Pleasantdale Road in Atlanta. The Sandy Springs Petco, located across the street from Trusted Friend Animal Clinic, is one of their Adoption Centers.
Petfinder allows you to search for adoptable dogs and cats in your area by connecting you with local rescue groups.
Having your pet microchipped will help you reunite with your pet if he or she ever gets lost.
- Interview with Dr. Ron Schultz – Video
Behavior and Training
- Indoor Pet Initiative: This website contains a wealth of information on environmental enrichment and reducing stress in our pets.
- Dumb Friends League: This links to a page with great behavior tips for cats and dogs.
- CATalyst Council Resources
- Perfect Puppy in 7 days by Sophia Yin
- For the Love of a Dog by Patricia McConnell, PhD
- The Other End of the Leash by Patricia McConnell, PhD
- Don’t Shoot the Dog by Karen Pryor
- Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson
- Bones Would Rain from the Sky by Suzanne Clothier
There is no single characteristic that will identify all counterfeit products. Some of the issues that have been found include:
- Differences in weight between the outer package and the product inside
- Lack of directions in English
- Products not packaged in child-resistant packaging
- Missing directions for use
- Product in the container is not appropriate for the animal or size of animal pictured on the outside
- Stickers on the box to hide the foreign labeling
- EPA registration number is missing
- Foreign labeled products with stickers containing some U.S. information
- Foreign-labeled products
The image below is of a counterfeit medication package side by side with the real product.
As you can see the counterfeit is missing important information from the front of the package, also the weight range is incorrect for the product.
Ask your veterinarian if they know anything about the site you plan to use.
Watch for red flags, such as not requiring a prescription, not listing an address and phone number, or not having a pharmacist available to answer questions.
Always check for site accreditation, such as from Vet-VIPPS.
Report problems and suspicious online pharmacies. They suggest reporting any issues first to the manufacturer, and then to the F.D.A.’S Center for Veterinary Medicine.
Educate yourself about online pharmacies.
WSAVA Global Nutrition Committee: Guidelines on Selecting Pet Foods
Pet food labels include a lot of required and useful information for veterinary teams and pet owners. They may also include marketing images and phrases that are designed to promote product sales rather than relay nutritional information.
Pet Health Insurance
Why is health insurance for my pet important?
We believe it is important for all pets to have a good pet health insurance plan. First of all, most of the diseases we see in veterinary medicine are related to breed/heredity. Example of breed-related diseases include:
- Certain heart diseases like dilated cardiomyopathy, mitral valve disease, and hypertrophic cardiomyopathy in cats
- Ophthalmic diseases like cataracts and glaucoma
- Musculoskeletal diseases like patellar luxations and hip dysplasia
Second, unexpected illnesses or injuries and life-threatening emergencies can happen. It is tragic when the cost of treatment prohibits a pet from receiving a life-saving procedure.
What plans do you recommend?
Pumpkin Insurance: Insurance That Puts Your Pet First!
We’re recommending a great new pet insurance program that will help you save money! Pumpkin Insurance has a 90% reimbursement rate, offers best-in-class insurance for accidents and illnesses, and has a smart annual limit based on real claim data. And unlike other plans, it has extensive coverage that includes hereditary conditions and dental disease.
Plus, it has a great preventive care option that fully covers annual wellness exam fees, key vaccines, and lab tests every year. You have up to 14 days after your annual wellness visit to sign up for Pumpkin Insurance with wellness coverage in order to receive a full refund on your wellness exam, vaccines (2 for dogs and 1 for cats), and 2 screening tests.
We also recommend Nationwide Pet Insurance. Benefits include:
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Annual deductible
- Reimbursed up to 90% on veterinary bills
- Preventive care included (vaccinations, spay/neuter, teeth cleaning)
- Specialty and emergency clinic exams covered in addition to wellness exams
- Hospitalization and surgery, including preventive and elective procedure
- Injuries and illnesses, including cancer and hereditary conditions
- Diagnostic testing (X-ray, ultrasound, CT, MRI)
- Prescribed nutritional supplements, therapeutic diets, and medications
- No waiting period for hereditary conditions
- Prescribed alternative treatments
- Pre-existing conditions, fees like sales tax, and boarding/grooming are not covered
Not sure which insurance is best for you? Check out Pawlicy Advisor.
Pawlicy Advisor is a Pet Insurance marketplace endorsed by Veterinarians to make getting the best pet insurance for your trusted friend easier! Pawlicy Advisor is an intelligent pet insurance comparison tool built to use your unique answers to analyze your pet’s breed-specific risks, policy coverage/exclusions, and expected lifetime costs .